Monday, October 6, 2008

After all these years, it still brings a smile to my face!

Yes, I am referring to the movie Newsies. I brought it to school to show a clip to my students when they finished their test today. They didn't know what a printing press was...so I thought what better way to see a printing press than to watch a clip from Newsies. We watched the educational printing press clip, and then I let them watch a few minutes of the beginning. I have to say that Carrying the Banner is one of my favorite parts of the movie and I can't hear it without humming or singing along. Well as I'm quietly humming one of my students notices and points out that I'm humming. To which I reply, well I've seen this movie a lot of times. He asks how many. And I proudly answer, probably 40 or 50 times. Yep, I've probably seen this movie more times than any other movie in my lifetime. My friends and I were slightly obsessed when we were in junior high. I saw it a few times in the regular theater, many times at the dollar theater, and many more times after we could rent it. We just couldn't get enough. Our lockers were plastered with pictures of Newsies and we even created our own Newsies stationary.

I look back on many of my teenage obsessions and think they were a bit ridiculous. And I may have a been a bit over the top on this one, but I do have to say that even to this day I still think it is a pretty fabulous movie. I did feel a bit old when I looked at the date on the dvd and told my students that the movie was 15 years old. I almost couldn't believe it. That means they were only two years old when this movie came out and they have never been exposed to the goodness that is Newsies. But thanks to me, now they have, and they didn't even make fun of it despite all the dancing and singing. And now I may just have to go home and finish the movie.

6 comments:

Julia Davis said...

And to think this was where Batman REALLY begins.... haha. Oh Christian Bale.... and all the others!.... such a hit! Steve and I sing the songs ALL the time!

Krista Hansen said...

I wish that my friend Rachel would invite me to watch Newsies with her! I should probably get my own copy too. I do LOVE that movie! It makes me feel really old though. Good times.

Laura said...

Oh the memories. I remember we saw Newsies on opening night and we were hooked. I'm such a Christian Bale fan and then there's Davy....
We were all jealous of his not so fabulous sister that got to kiss Jack. I'll have to pull out my DVD this afternoon...and teach my girls some dance moves as we listen to the sound track. Good job being such a great teacher and pointing them in such a great musical direction.

Mitzi said...

When we went to see Batman Begins, my husband was waiting at the end for something. I said what are you waiting for? He said he was waiting to see what the name of the kid was that played Batman. And I said "Are you kidding me?! I can tell you exactly who that was! I can't believe you don't know who that is!" It was funny. THen I told him all about the crush I had on Christian Bale. Oh good times! Thanks for the walk in the past.

Heidi Robinson said...

still brings a smile to your face - that's because it stars Christian Bale!

Cami said...

I love that movie! I'm going to have to get it.