Saturday, July 4, 2009

Martin's Cove

About 6 months ago we got called to go on pioneer trek with the youth in our ward for youth conference.  I had been to Martin's Cove on a trek many years ago when I was in young womens (see pic below), and I was excited for the opportunity to go back.  They have improved the area quite a bit and made things quite efficient to accommodate the many thousands of visitors they have each summer.

Independence Rock (from my first Trek in 1997)
After months of preparation and many mutual activities we set off for Wyoming.   Here we are on our initial trek to our camp, after the 6 hour bus ride.

Martin's Cove
I spent most of day 2 wearing my authentic pioneer hoodie because it was cold and rained most of the day.

We talked about the Sweetwater River and the four men that carried all the pioneers from the handcart companies across the freezing water.  
Aaron didn't want to carry me across (remember how he feels about cold water), so I got to walk myself.  It was surprisingly deep with a pretty strong current.  It would have been hard to walk straight across without the rope.
Aaron enjoying some time to ponder
Me after a day of trekking in the rain, sitting by the fire to try to avoid the mosquitos.
This is my first photo merge panoramic picture made in photoshop!  This was made from four separate photos that I was able to merge together into one long one.  I had no idea how easy it was.  Probably doesn't do it justice, because it shows up so small, but this is the view when you come out of Martin's Cove. 
I think the thing that impressed me most about this time was thinking about how incredibly courageous and faithful these pioneers were.  They knew when they set out that it wouldn't be easy and they might lose loved ones, but they were willing to go anyway.  This is one of my favorite quotes about the handcart companies:

"We suffered beyond anything you can imagine, and many died of exposure and starvation...[But we] came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives, for we became acquainted with Him in our extremities...
Was I sorry that I chose to come by handcart?  No.  Neither then nor any minute of my life since.  The price we paid to become acquainted with God was a privilege to pay, and I am thankful that I was privilege to come in the Martin handcart company."  --Francis Webster

No comments: